“Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.”– Kim Seok-Jin
Kim Seok-Jin, better known by his stage name Jin, is a South Korean singer and model. He is the official visual and one of the vocalists of BTS. With the track “No More Dream” Jin made his debut as a member of BTS on June 13, 2013. He is currently 26 years old which makes him the oldest BTS member.
Jin’s Childhood & Early Life
Jin was born on December 4, 1992 in Gwacheon, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea, as a part of a four-membered family, including his mother, father and older brother named Kim Seok-Jung, who introduced him to the world of hip-hop. Although we have little information about his family, we know that his parents are very much supportive of his singing career.
Before auditioning for the Bangtan Boys, Jin attended Konkuk University, where he graduated with a degree in art and acting on February 22, 2017. Unfortunately, he was unable to attend his graduation ceremony, so he held his own with his members and fans through a livestream.
Jin intended to work at his father’s company, until he was noticed on the streets and invited to audition for Big Hit Entertainment. Even though he majored in filming, he was asked to learn singing and dancing in order to be a part of BTS. Despite having no knowledge in any of these areas Jin worked very hard. He is known as the good-looking man, but he also has a soft, warm voice. His dancing continues to improve as he works hard and practices with the other members and individually.
Jin & BTS
It’s already been more than four years, and he has contributed to a good number of songs, videos and events. His first studio album with Bangtan Boys, Dark & Wild, peaked at number two on South Korea’s Gaon Music Chart, and his second album with the group, Wake Up, rose to number three on Japan’s Oricon chart.
Although he had done songwriting before, he first co-produced a solo single titled “Awake” which charted at thirty-one on the Gaon Music Chart and six on the Billboard World Digital Singles Chart. On August 9, 2018 was released a trailer for the band’s upcoming album, with a song called “Epiphany”. The song described as “building pop-rock melody” was a solo performance by Jin, with the lyrics touching on concepts of acceptance and self-love.
Jin collaborated with fellow BTS member V for the historical drama Hwarang: The Poet Warrior Youth‘s soundtrack entitled “It’s Definitely You”, as well as with Jungkook to sing and release an alternate version of “So Far Away”, a song from BTS member Suga’s self-titled mixtape Agust D.
Seok-Jin is widely known for his philanthropy actions. In December 2018, Jin donated various supplies to the Korean Animal Welfare Association to celebrate his birthday.
His stage name is Jin, but he has more than one nickname, such as Third One from The Left, because he always sits on the third while taking pictures and Visual King because of his work in the band. His lifestyle is known to the world, thus has another name ‘Sexy guy who cooks well.’ He goes by other names like Worldwide Handsome, Jinpaca, Prince Jin, Maknae, and many more.
Jin is currently pursuing further studies at Hanyang Cyber University
Facts about Jin
And here are some fun facts about this Worldwide Handsome Guy:
- He had a dog named Jjanggu, who died in 2017.
- He has two pet Sugar Gliders named Odeng and Eomuk. However, in a recent Vlive, Jin revealed that Eomuk recently died in September 2018 due to unfortunate circumstances. He bought a second Sugar Glider and named it Gukmul to keep Odeng company.
- He has his own mukbang show call Eat Jin. In the show he only eats but does not talk much about the food beyond stating the dish’s name. Sometimes, the other members of BTS join him: Jungkook, Jimin, or Suga, his former roommate.
- His favorite hobbies include cooking, eating, dolls, telling dad jokes, blowing air kisses, playing video games, snowboarding, looking at photographs and recipes, taking polaroids, and taking care of his pets.
- In early years when he dances, he was told that he looked like a traffic police.
- His personality is always recognized as caring, humble and funny.
- A professional plastic surgery doctor stated that Jin’s face was a ‘perfect face’- his eyes, nose, mouth, ears, everything in the right place, with the right shape and the right type of face.
- He was roommates with Suga. When BTS changed roommates, Jin and Suga stayed together. Suga stated that he ‘couldn’t have a more perfect roommate’.
- On Idol King Of Cooking, Jin was supposed to go to the final round. However, due to their conflicting schedules, someone else took his spot in the finals.
- During earlier eras, he was nicknamed Ctrl + V because he was the only one who was able to control Taehyung (V).
- His favorite color was pink. In a 2017 interview, he stated that it is now blue.
- His favorite number is 4.
- His favorite foods are lobster, meat, naengmyeon(Korean noodle dish), chicken, hamburgers, pizza, and all types of greasy junk food.
- He likes anime, Disney princesses, his Maple Story and Super Mario action figures, and Nintendo games.
- He has a habit of blinking his left eye when he’s hungry.
- His ideal type is someone who will be a good wife, good at cooking, and is nice.
- He once made seaweed soup for J-Hope, who became speechless since he thought it tasted like his mom’s soup.
- He always goes to the gym with Jungkook.
- According to the other members, he has the best body and face in the group.
- He is in charge of the kitchen and cleaning up the dorms.
- He rarely uses wooden chopsticks– he always carries his own because he doesn’t like the smell of the wooden chopsticks.
- He can’t watch horror movies.
- As a child, he wanted to be a detective.
- He wakes up two hours earlier than the other members.
- He can speak Korean, a little bit of Chinese, Japanese, and basic English.
- The Chinese A.R.M.Y fans stated that Jin sounded the most Chinese out of the Bangtan Boys when they spoke Chinese.
- He can play the guitar and piano.
- He chose V as the member he is closest to.
- He named his future children– the girl to be Yu-sun (유선) and the boy to be Yu-bi (유비).
- He is the first K-pop idol to get 100 million hearts on V-live during his birthday live on 2017.
- His motto in life is: “Let’s live freely.“
- His cover songs are: Mom, I Love You, Autumn Outside the Post Office.
- Jin’s favourite weather is Spring sunlight.
- Jin is really confident with others and can communicate well now, but previously, he stated he had very low self esteem and that A.R.M.Y’s and the rest of BTS helped him to overcome it.
- Jin, Jungkook, and Jimin drink together occasionally.
- Jin’s BT21 character is a white alpaca wearing a red neckerchief named RJ.
- Jin is very athletic, his sports are snowboarding, golf; he can also do wakeboarding, tennis, surfing, scuba diving and a lot more.
- Jin’s laugh is very distinctive and is known as the ‘Windshield Wiper’ laugh (i.e the sound of when glass/windows are being wiped clean.)
- Besides from J-Hope, Jin is the second member who gets scared very easily.
- When Jin is embarrassed or mad his ears will turn red.
- Jin has prescription glasses but rarely wears them as they make him feel insecure. He prefers to wear contact lenses instead, but his eyes get easily irritated from wearing them.
- In an interview, when the members were asked would they rather give up their phone, friends, or food for a day, Jin jokingly said he would give up friends for a day because he doesn’t have any friends. However, upon seeing the other members reactions to his answer, he quickly explained that he sees the other members as family more than friends. (Noisey Interview, The Noisey Questionaire of Life, 2018).
- Jin has mentioned before that he doesn’t like it when people touch his face. (Particularly strangers).
- In 2018, he opened a Japanese-style restaurant in Seoul called Ossu Seiromushi with his older brother.
- Jin was first scouted by one of the biggest talent agencies in South Korea, SM Entertainment when he was in his 8th grade, but he refused to join the agency thinking that it was a scam and that the person approaching him was lying.
bio by Angela