Never give up on a dream that you’ve been chasing almost all of your life. – Park Jimin
Park Ji-Min (Hangul: 박지민), popularly known as Jimin, is a South Korean dancer, singer and songwriter and member of BTS. He has been a member of the band ever since their debut in 2013, under the company Big Hit Entertainment.
Jimin was born on October 12, 1995 (a Libra!), in Busan. His family consists of his mom and dad as well his younger brother Park Ji-Hyun, who was born in 1997. His father owns a cafe called “Alice’s Table” in Busan. Jimin even showed his brother in a vlog and fans think that they look very similar.
After finishing the Busan’s Hodong Elementary School, he started attending Yonsan Middle School where he enrolled into the Just Dance Academy and learned popping and locking dance. He continued his education at Busan High School of Arts where he studied contemporary dance.After watching a performance by Rain, he became interested in singing. It was his teacher at the school that suggested he auditions for Big Hit in 2012, and after passing the audition, he transferred to Korean Arts High School. He graduated with honors in 2014 as a top class student. He attended high school with one his BTS co-members, V (Kim Tae-Hyung) and they are friends ever since.
Although many would think that Jimin got chosen by Big Hit because of his dancing skills, he revealed that that wasn’t the case and that actually he almost failed to join the team because of his dancing style: “I majored in contemporary dance. Since the style of dancing was totally different than the choreography of an idol group, it became difficult challenge for me.” Luckily, he was chosen to join the band. In an interview, he recalls that J-Hope was the first member he met and that he remembers the pre-debut days for all the fun he had with the boys, everyone eating and playing together and visiting the amusement park. The only thing that was hard for him during the trainee period was the uncertain future, so he practiced every day until about 3-4am, sleep for a bit before going back to the practice room at 6am, sing for an hour then go to school.
Jimin made his debut as an idol on June 12, 2013, when BTS released their first single called “No More Dream”. He is the main dancer and lead vocalist in the band. Under the band’s name, Jimin has released 2 solo songs, the first one being “Lie” in 2016 as part of the “Wings” album. The song is very emotional, dark and dramatic, just as the whole “Wings” album is. In 2018, he released his second solo, titled “Serendipity” as part of the mini album, “Love Yourself: Her”. Serendipity is very different than Lie, a joyful and soft melody and lyrics that talk about the curiosity of love. “Serendipity” is often used as a baby lullaby by parents in South Korea. Both of Jimin’s solos has surpassed fifty millions of streams on Spotify.
With BTS, Jimin has won plenty of awards and performed on many award shows including Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA), American Music Awards (AMAs) and Billboard Music Awards (BBMAs). He is also known for his philanthropy actions. Jimin supported graduates of Busan Hodong Elementary School, his alma mater, from 2016 till 2018, by covering uniform expenses. After news of the school’s closing was released, he donated summer and winter middle school uniforms to the final graduates and gifted autographed albums to the entire student body.
bio by Jelena Pavlovski @JelenaBangtan
Real name: Park Ji Min
Birthday: October 13, 1995
Zodiac sign: Libra
Height: 173.6cm (5’8.3″) (He said it with Jin in their video in V live app form Dec.)
Weight: 61 kg (134 lbs)
Blood Type: A
Jimin’s Spotify list: Jimin’s JOAH? JOAH
– Jimin was valedictorian in his pre-debut years (hightest ranked student aka no.1 overall) and he was class president for 9 years.
– Jimin was the last member to join BTS.
– His favorite colors are blue and black.
– His favorite number is number 3.
– His nickname is Mang-gae rice cake. (Knowing Brother)
– He used to view himself as “fat” and he was self conscious of his looks and cheeks.
– When Jimin viewed himself fat (he doesn’t anymore) he went into depression and starved himself until Jin got him out of it and he started eating regularly.
– His favorite foods are pork, duck, chicken, fruit, and kimchi jjigae.
– He prefers a sunny and cool weather.
– Is known for his impressive abs.
– He jokingly hits his fellow members as a way of showing his affection for them
– If music is playing he will start to dance no matter where he is.
– When the weather is sunny and cool, Jimin likes wearing earphones while listening to music that gives a good feeling.
– Jimin, Wanna One’s Woojin and Daniel participated (respectively) in a dance competition in Busan – “2011 Busan City Kids Vol. 2”. Jimin’s team beat Woojin’s team in the semifinal, while in the final Jimin and Daniel’s teams confronted.
– Once he wrote some lyrics and gave them to Suga. Suga said: “You called these lyrics?!” (the lyrics sounded like a children song). Suga asked him to redo the lyrics, but in the end he still couldn’t use Jimin’s lyrics.
– Jimin’s role models are Rain, Taeyang (Bigbang) and Chris Brown.
– He is most confident in his eyes.
– He feels sorry for kicking his members during ‘No More Dream’ performance.
– He enjoys reading comic books. He said that comic books influenced him a lot. [SKOOL LUV AFFAIR KEYWORD TALK]
– According to Jimin, the requirements for his happiness are: love, money and stage.
– Jimin has black belt in taekwondo.
– Jimin is close friends with SHINee’s Teamin, EXO’s Kai, VIXX’s Ravi, Wanna One’s Sungwon and HOTSHOT’s Timoteo.
– Taemin (SHINee) said he would want to have a collaboration with Kai (EXO) and Jimin (BTS) on his solo album. (Singles Sep 2017 Taemin Interview)
– Jimin usually solves his problems himself. If he can’t solve it, he will share it with V and ask for his advice.
– Jungkook is always teasing Jimin about his height.
– Jimin’s favorite food is: meat (pork, beef, duck, chicken), fruits, stew kimchi jjigae.
– In 10 years, Jimin wants to be a cool singer who enjoys the stage.
– In the dorm, Jimin in charge of the kitchen.
– Things he want to steal from other members are: Rap Monster’s height, V’s talent and gaze, J-Hope’s cleanliness, Suga’s diverse knowledge.
– Money is important to Jimin. (Knowing Brother ep 94)
– Jimin’s ideal date: “Sitting on the bench, drinking together… I would like to have a countryside date. We would also walk holding hands….(Laugh)”
– If he’d get a day off, Jimin jokingly said he wants to go on a date with Jungkook while holding hands together. And when Jungkook talked about his wishes, Jimin shouted: “Live happily together with me!” -MCD Backstage 140425-
– He felt a bit hurt when Jungkook ranked him the last in terms of looks. Jimin thinks the 1st is Jin while the 7th is Suga. (He was going to rank Rap Monster as the 7th but he changed his mind saying that recently Rap Monster got better-looking).
– He has to use eyeliner while practicing the choreography, else he can’t seem to show strong expressions and he will get shy.
– Jimin appeared in GLAM’s MV Party (XXO). GLAM disbanded, they were under BigHit.
– Jin chose Jimin as the member who has changed the most since debut.
– Hobbies: Getting beaten up (Profile written by Jimin), reading books/novels and staying on his phone for hours, relaxing and hanging out with friends.
– Motto : Let’s keep trying till we can’t do it any more. (Profile written by Jimin)
– Things he likes (3 things): Jeonggukkie, performing, receiving attention. (Profile written by Jimin)
– Things he dislikes (3 things): V, Jin, Suga. (Profile written by Jimin)
– Jimin was ranked 64th in the “Top 100 Handsome Faces of 2017”.
– His “Fake Love” fancam is the most viewed fancam in Kpop.